HOW TO INSTALL AN OTR MICROWAVE
Installing a new over-the-stove / range microwave can be a DIY project, but it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and any local building codes carefully. Here are the general steps for installing an over-the-stove microwave:
- Measure and mark the location of the microwave: Measure the width and height of the microwave and mark the location on the wall above the stove where the microwave will be installed. Microwaves come with a template to be affixed to the wall and the cabinet.
- Install the mounting plate: Most over-the-stove microwaves come with a mounting plate that is used to secure the microwave to the wall. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the mounting plate, making sure it is level and properly aligned. Ensure you have at least 2 bolts into 2 different studs.
- Check and adjust the flow direction of the microwave air. either up, or directly out the back, or recirculating.
- Install the microwave: Once the mounting plate is installed, carefully lift the microwave into place and secure it to the mounting plate using the screws or bolts provided.
- Connect the Outside Exhaust. Your fan should be venting outside.
- Connect the power: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to connect the power cord to the outlet and to the microwave. If the microwave has a hardwired connection, you may need to hire an electrician to make the connection.
- Test the microwave: Once the microwave is installed and connected to power, test it to make sure it is working properly.
It is important to follow all safety precautions when installing an over-the-stove microwave, including wearing appropriate personal protective equipment and following any relevant building codes. If you are not comfortable with electrical work or are unsure about any aspect of the installation process, it is best to hire a professional to install the microwave for you.
RENEWvation is a Calgary Based Interior Renovator that does full kitchen cabinet set up and install including over the range microwave venting and installation.